Solar What?! | Torch & Adaptor Unit
Solar What?! is a fully repairable, recyclable solar-powered light that empowers people to extend the lives of electronic devices, designed by Cramasie with The University of Edinburgh
In 2017 over 6 million small, solar powered lighting devices were sold worldwide and 1.6 million solar powered lighting devices entered electronic waste flows.
Working with Solar What?! we wanted to emphasise their narrative of advocating sustainable design in the global solar industry and promote the repair, reuse and recycling of solar powered electronics. Together Solar What?! and Cramasie are pro-solar and anti-waste.
We utilised our experience of Product Design, Materials, Design for Manufacture (DfM) and Electronics to produce a product that Solar What?! could be proud of, where we:
- Designed and maximised the lifespan of all components.
- Used recycled plastics and responsibly sourced electronic components.
- Create a robust and easy to open product with non-specialist tools.
- To be compatible with a wide range of second-hand solar modules and mobile phone batteries.
- Emphasised the appropriate use, reuse, repair, repurposing and recycling.
We believe that delivering affordable, clean energy for all can also promote responsible production and consumption.